Saturday, February 14, 2015

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


There's nothing better than a tasty homemade sauce.  And this one never fails to impress company :)  It's extremely versitail too!! Not only is it a great spaghetti sauce...it is awesome for pasta bakes (check out my pasta bake recipe here!) and amazing as a pizza sauce!  I love tossing this lovey sauce on top of some zucchini noodles.  You'll notice that the recipe calls for 16 oz of Italian turkey sausage, I've also used Italian chicken sausage and it turned out great...just go with whatever is available to you.  I like to make this in the slow cooker, it makes the house smell wonderful and lets the flavors really come together.  This makes quite a bit I always freeze most of the leftovers that way we can have a quick, healthy, and tasty meal ready at the drop of a hat!  Serving size for 21 Day Fix is 3/4 cup and counts as 1/2 Purple, 1/2 Red, and 1/2 Green. ENJOY!! :)

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour

Ingredients
20oz Ground Turkey 
16oz Ground Italian Turkey
1 Large Sweet Onion Diced
16oz Mushrooms Chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic Minced
2-28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes (low sodium and organic if available)
1-14oz Can Tomato Sauce (low sodium and organic if available)
2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
1 Tbsp Dried Basil
1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions
 Go ahead and get your slow cooker set up and put the temp on high.  Pour your olive oil over the bottom, toss in your diced onions, and cover with the lid so the onions can sweat and soften.  Stir the onions every 5 minutes or so to prevent sticking.  Once the onions start to soften add in the chopped mushrooms and garlic.  Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat saute all of the ground turkey until it is cooked all the way through.  Drain the meat and add to your slow cooker.  Add in all of your spices and stir until well mixed.  Slowly pour in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce stirring in between each can.  Cover and leave on high heat for about 1 hour until sauce is heated all the way through, taste sauce and add more spice if you'd like (if you like heat add in some cayenne).  Reduce heat to low until you are ready to serve...ENJOY!! :)

16 comments:

  1. What is serving size of sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny! If you're following the 21 Day Fix a serving size will be roughly 3/4 cup...that's what I have the container counts figured out to :)

      Delete
  2. Can you use lean ground round and Italian sausage. Instead of turkey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I actually used to use both and it was delish! However, when I started following the 21 Day Fix meal plan I discovered that pork wasn't really recommended. So I changed things up a bit...another great option is ground Italian chicken lol honestly sometimes it's easier to find that than ground Italian turkey!! :)

      Delete
  3. Can you just put everything in the slow cooker and let it cook for a couple hours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Sorry for the delay I stepped away from blogging for a bit =/ but now I'm back! Thank you for your question! Yes you sure can, just make sure that the ground turkey is completely cooked and then you can toss it all in your slow cooker. :)

      Delete
  4. Your recipe includes both the 20oz of ground turkey AND the 16 oz of ground Italian turkey, correct? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an either/or situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it includes both. I actually have a harder time finding the Italian ground turkey so more often than not I go with Italian ground chicken! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner I just started a program on goal setting and being consistent with this blog is on the list! Thank you so much for your question hope you have an amazing day :)

      Delete
  5. My husband and I LOVE your recipe! We pair it with brown rice spaghetti. It's been an awesome meal for these cold days when a salad just won't do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness!! Thank you so much I'm so happy to hear that you both love it! I haven't tried it with brown rice pasta yet I will definitely do that soon...I have leftovers hiding in the freezer that are begging to be used hahaha :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Kelli,
    My friend Kellie and I having been following the 21 day fix for about 6 weeks. We cook together every Sunday so we can have food for the week. This sauce is number 1 of all the food we make. So, so delicious. I love that it makes a bunch. We are making it as the sauce for garden vegetable manicotti this week and we will also cook some pasta to have with the rest of the sauce. The sauce keeps well in the fridge and freezes well too. What else can I sauce about this great spaghetti sauce? How about YUM!!!!!!!!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great to hear!! Your manicotti idea sounds absolutely delicious :) Thank you very much and I'm so happy to hear the positive feedback...I'll try to keep the yummy recipes coming for you and Kellie!! How do you ladies love the program it's one of my favorites!!

      Delete
  7. Purple is fruit and it says it uses 1/2 purple. Where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angela! Autumn has said to count canned tomato items (sauce, paste, crushed and diced) in the purple container...I'm guessing because the sugar content is higher? I wish it counted as a green LOL I'd hit my green goal everyday if that was the case!! :)

      Delete